PES 2018 NEWS, DISCUSSION, SCREENS AND VIDEO (Part 14)

News from the Pro Evolution / Winning Eleven gaming world, discussions from the posts on WinningElevenBlog.com and general PES & WE discussions

PES 2018 NEWS, DISCUSSION, SCREENS AND VIDEO (Part 14)

Postby danny275 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Continue...

Last Post:
miguelfcp wrote:
The PES Casual wrote:
miguelfcp wrote:Oh, please, let's not go through the licensing route. There's nothing stopping you from creating a fantasy adboard, a fantasy scoreboard, a fantasy stadium, fantasy brands, fantasy everything basically, compensating for the licenses you don't own. There's lack of immagination and vision in order to do that, yes. I don't need a SkySports scoreboard on the game if Konami TV is broadcasting it, but then you'd have to put on the effort to make the game look as an actual broadcast, and that is so much work.

I have absolutely no objections to fantasy adboards and alike. Apologies, Miguel, I never said that there needs to be something there is no official stuff in my original post. Probably should have stated that.

I'm not saying you object to it, I'm saying the lack of licensing - which has been one of the greatest Konami excuses of the decade - shall never be an impediment for you to create a great simulation with additional depth provided by content such as the content I mentioned. How cool would it be if you could sign a contract with a sports brand on Become a Legend? Replace Adidas with CasualSports, Nike with MiguelfcpBrand, design completely fantasy shirts, jackets, boots, balls and there you have it. Just an example of maaaany one could come up with to overcome lack of licensing. The only thing needed is to have a vision and an idea for what you want to accomplish...
danny275
KMN Staff
KMN Staff

Re: PES 2018 NEWS, DISCUSSION, SCREENS AND VIDEO (Part 14)

Postby The PES Casual » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 pm

miguelfcp wrote:#976 reason for PES' decline as a simulation:

Overall ratings for players, yet another thing copied from FIFA that makes no sense. It welcomes gamers to make superficial judgements about the worth of players, as it's crucial for the success of your team to analyze every player's stat thoroughly in order to understand what he can and can't do on the pitch, and then elaborate a team strategy able to mitigate your players' weaknesses and highlight their strengths.

A 200cm tall guy whose only ability is strength and heading acc. is much more useful if my strategy is to play long balls and use him as a post player than a guy with many 70+ or 80 stats but short and weak on the aerial battle. Modern football games encourage us to pick the latter as his overall rating is so much better, but regardless of his overall I'd pick the first one because he fits my strategy better.

A great real-life example of this is Gabi from Atletico Madrid. He's not world class at absolutely anything expect for the fact he has lots of stamina, he's a great leader on the pitch and has one of the highest football IQs in the world - rarely ever commits mistakes with or without the ball, comprehends and applies the team strategy flawlessly, and knows whether to perform any individual action or not providing it benefits the team. If he hadn't this three qualities, he'd be playing for a mid-table La Liga team, and in real-life he can be considered an Atletico legend already. You'd certainly overlook a player similar to him in any modern football videogame because the overall rating would be rather poor, yet such a player could be decisive to step up your team's performance and counterbalance the fact that you have two or three young attacking midfielders with great dribbling but poor mental stats, a Gabi-like-player is going to act like the "glue" that combines natural talent and intelligent and therefore make the team act as a whole on the pitch.

Yeah, I can contest this one.

I have Galabinov up front in CF who is 73 ovr (overlevelled) and I use him frequently. Only has heading and captaincy skills, and his stats aren't great, but Body Contact stat? In the 90's. He is a cart-horse andf pretty clumsy, but I've used him so often I can get the best out of him. Coupled with that I can throw an online opponent off guard as he isn't a big name, and I bet a few of my opponents have seen his ovr and laughed, thinking I was dicking around. Can olay pretty tidilly with him that I can mix up play and not rely on his aerial ability. I'm not talking mazy dribbles but strength in firdt touch and decent link-up. This is not placebo.

I landed Petagna the other night. Big, bulky Atalanta CF whi is only 22. He is my next development project and levelas up past what Galabinov is capable of reaching.

As I wrote in my response to Reps I also have Fosu-Mensah at 78 ovr (overlevelled again) and I can have him play like Thuram at RB. Again, it isn't dome unrealistic ciding thing as I bet many woud struggle to use him over a couple of matches, but in sticking with him I have another player who can confuse opponents with him just being in my starting eleven.

Elsewhere, I have RMF Joao Carvalho (78 ovr overlevelled) and Nedelcu DMF (Steaua player, has a few good skills and stat balance for a DMF, 74 ovr)

Left footed CMF of choice? Ignacio Fernandez of River Plate. Can play him as a Beckham-like wide midfielder too. Little pace, but wonderful poise and range of passing.

Just a few examples from my squad who either don't break 80 ovr and are excellent players to try to learn to use, or if the develop past 80 had the tools anyway to be effective. Besides, Fernandez now being at 83 ovr feels good, given my investment in him.

I do agree with ovr's being front and centre and it vould without that. There are, however, many a cult player in the game.
The PES Casual
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The PES Casual » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Oh, and again miguel I agree with you and I'm stealing CasualSports, but it will be CasualSports est. 1975.
The PES Casual
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The PES Casual » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Christ. Apologies for the spelling in that longer reply. Phone is playing up.
The PES Casual
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby RFC41GE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Saw this on Reddit:

"So I was playing Become a Legend and I'm currently on Barcelona. I was looking through teams I might want to transfer to through the transfer request option and I noticed that I can't request a transfer request to Barcelona B . So this made me wonder if theres a special setting/programming for Barcelona and Barcelona B. I went into Master league to see if theres a special setting and see if Barcelona B does actually act as Barcelona's reserve team and to my surprise it actually does. All the youth players on Barcelona are on Barcelona B and when you sign them you don't have to pay a transfer fee just like how you sign youth players on other teams. And then I checked if they did the same thing with Sevilla and sure enough they had the same feature. And then I checked the Copa Del Rey tournament and realized that both B teams for Sevilla and Barcelona weren't participating. So I realized unlike fifa; who treats the first team and reserve team as two completely different teams; PES treats the B teams as reserve teams just like in real life. This attention to small detail is what makes me like PES a lot more."

Wasn't aware this was a thing, that you could effectively manage your first and reserve team in different leagues, this is a pretty cool feature and something I fancy trying.
RFC41GE
Mascot
Mascot

Postby Pesmunki » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:30 pm

So, some gameplay videos...

First one was online. Not supposed to be representative but it was just one I'd recorded the other week. (Neither the best game I've ever played nor the worst).

I was Shakhtar and this guy was Madrid. His problem was simply that he just constantly would run his players at me, and out of position. This happens all too often online, which leads to a lot of the problems that are discussed on here.

Pesmunki
First Team
First Team

PSN: cogs67

Postby Pesmunki » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 pm

I'll post another couple of offline ones when I've got them, as I've just started experimenting last couple of days with dropping the game down to Professional level but with Pass assist level 1 and Manual shooting. Some good results, realism wise.
Pesmunki
First Team
First Team

Postby Pesmunki » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Scored this with Manual shooting...

Nice. ;)
Pesmunki
First Team
First Team

Postby RFC41GE » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 am

Sweet free kick mate but to my knowledge set pieces on manual or assisted are the exact same so not sure the relevance of stating it's on manual, nice goal all the same.
RFC41GE
Mascot
Mascot

Postby Pesmunki » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 am

RFC41GE wrote:Sweet free kick mate but to my knowledge set pieces on manual or assisted are the exact same so not sure the relevance of stating it's on manual, nice goal all the same.

Don't think they are the same mate, might be wrong. But the power bar displayed different and the power needed was different. The relevance is simply I've tried some different settings the other night, pass assist 1 coupled with manual shooting and felt it was a good combo. Whilst using those settings I scored a cracker of a free kick ( I don't play with any displays or guides, keep the screen nice and clean), and for me, it definitely makes a difference.

The reason I've tried it is I'd just the day before got an invite to play with an old online mate of mine, we used to play 2013 on Full manual everything, passing and shooting and I'd forgot how much I'd enjoyed it. It's challenging, but sweet when you get it right. (This is not me telling everyone to try it as I know it's not for everyone).
Pesmunki
First Team
First Team

Postby RFC41GE » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:42 am

Na it's defo the same, whenever I play offline it's always FUMA settings, for free kicks power bar about half way hold joystick left or right for the curl depending on the foot and if over the wall and angled properly it's a goal.

The different colour in power bar is just to show you are playing without assistance, there's no assistance in free kicks though or any dead ball situations.
RFC41GE
Mascot
Mascot

Postby RFC41GE » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:45 am

Actually there is assistance in dead balls but only with standard pass or through ball, lofted pass and shooting is un-assisted.
RFC41GE
Mascot
Mascot

Postby miguelfcp » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:37 am

@RFC41GE - That's interesting but the whole thing about controlling both the first and reserve team is the fact you're able to feed the first team with young talent, mostly homegrown players. Since there is no such thing as newgens in PES, only regens, it limits the experience in my view. Another aspect of the game that needs to be introduced, even FM has had newgens for more than a decade.

@Casual - Getting rid of the overall rating would cause major havoc in the fanbase as one would actually have to go through the stats of the players to understand their worth, which takes patience and time and needless to say, one needs to use the brain to figure out how is the strategy going to work.

When I see the overall of a player such as the ones you mentioned, or any other player really, I think to myself: "yeah, this midfielder is 78 overall. What does that mean exactly? How is he different from a 77 overall midfielder?"

I don't even know how they come up with those numbers but it's nonsense. Messi would be a 50 overall if you decided to play him as a target man and pump long balls, forcing him to challenge the centre-backs in the aerial battle. Mertesacker would be a 50 overall if you played a very-high defensive line and force him to cover the back of the other centre-back, since he's painfully slow. Your 73-rated tall striker would be a 40 if you pumped through ball after through ball for him to ran after. You mentioned Beckham and it's a great example of a player whose overall wouldn't be really high but every manager in the world would've wanted him in the team because of his one-in-a-generation long-passing, crossing ability. The worth of a player is always contextual, always depending on how you use him. "Overall worth" is a made up thing, it simply does not exist in sports.

Instead of having an oversimplified number, one should look at the whole of the statsheet and figure out "tendencies" for each player. Oh, so Mertesacker is slow but strong and has great defensive IQ? Then, it would be obvious you'd use him as marking-first defender, rarely ever spawning the sprint button with him and you'd never try to anticipate the attacker's movement because if his low speed. From here, you reach further conclusions, such as you'd need a reasonably fast defender alongside Mertesacker - regardless of his overall rating - to compensate the german's lack of pace. Maybe you'll play a deeper defensive line. Maybe you'll avoid complex build-ups at the back because of his low technique and passing. Soon enough, you'll be literally forcing yourself to play realistic football even if the simulation itself doesn't encourage it.

This realistic, real-life-manager thought process is ruined by the overall rating. "Hey look, I got a 80-rated defender. Kansas is going bye-bye, inferior-specimen-79-rated defender!". It really makes me wonder about the football-IQ of this younger generation who grew up playing FIFA in its prime, mostly, and a bit of PES' myClub. Both FIFA and PES are not doing enough to encourage the football minds to develop, actually they're doing the exact opposite.
miguelfcp
Mascot
Mascot

Postby RFC41GE » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:50 am

@miguelfcp I'm not entirely sure how it works as not tried myself but the way pes is I'd imagine you still have first team, youth team and this other B squad where you can take players from and feed into, not sure though but it's definitely something I want to try and get into.
RFC41GE
Mascot
Mascot

Postby gee_simpson » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:09 am

Now this thread is much better. No constant arguments, just general chat about the game itself :)

@PESMunki or anyone else who still plays and enjoys PES 2018; add me on PSN if you want for some games, I'm online usually most evenings, some afternoons on occasion. I like the way you play the game, I try to play a realistic way myself online vs randoms. Though for anyone who is sick of playing randoms, sign up to Pro Evo Network. It is a great community of like minded folk who love PES and who play for fun, not results. We have a league system and our own player database, you get a transfer budget to spend on players and their contracts. It's like the old MLO but better. It adds a whole new dimension to the game. We have an active transfer market which everyone takes part in all year round. It really does give you a reason to keep playing PES.

I myself have left the leagues but will be looking to join again after taking a break from PES to focus on my Fifa pro clubs team. I'm still around on the forums but took a step back from the league for a few months. Regarding Fifa, I actually play at a pretty high level on pro clubs, the team I play for just got promoted to the highest division on the VPG Esports league. Next season we'll be up against the likes of the official QPR Esports football team. They are one of the first UK pro clubs teams to be affiliated with a real life UK football team. I decided to dedicate all of my gaming time to that but I have been starting to miss PES and the Pro Evo Network leagues and after playing it again this week and enjoying it for the most part, I'll be putting my name down on the waiting list for a league spot again.

If you are a fan of this game, Pro Evo Network will give you a reason to keep playing all year round despite some of the games' flaws. It is really addictive though so be warned! Sign up and introduce yourself to the lads there in the 'Introduce yourself' section of the forums. They are a great bunch of lads and really welcoming, I now have most of them on my PSN friends list, which is nearly 150. There is also an Xbox league. http://proevonetwork.com/forums/
19.05.12 1-5 FTH
gee_simpson
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PSN: JamboGee92
Twitter: @Gee_Simpson

Postby gee_simpson » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:30 am

In addition to the above, you don't have to join the leagues if you don't feel like you have the time. That's partly why I left for a while too. Just having them on your friends list to play friendlies with from time to time is fun in itself as they aren't spammers, they don't go all out to win at all costs. You can take part in community nights which are open for league members and forum members. These are usually once a month and are a good laugh, usually you get teamed up with folk in voice chat parties. Regarding voice chat, it is mandatory if you want to join the leagues because incase you have lag or whatever. You don't have to talk much if you don't want to though. I didn't like the idea at first as I'm not used to using voice chat on PSN with people I'm not too familiar with but you get used to it fairly quickly and as I've said before most of them are all sound anyway. As I said, even without joining the leagues, it's a great forum to be a part of just to talk about PES and other stuff. It's worth it signing up to the forum itself.
19.05.12 1-5 FTH
gee_simpson
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PSN: JamboGee92
Twitter: @Gee_Simpson

Postby Pesmunki » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 am

gee_simpson wrote:Now this thread is much better. No constant arguments, just general chat about the game itself :)

@PESMunki or anyone else who still plays and enjoys PES 2018; add me on PSN if you want for some games, I'm online usually most evenings, some afternoons on occasion. I like the way you play the game, I try to play a realistic way myself online vs randoms. Though for anyone who is sick of playing randoms, sign up to Pro Evo Network. It is a great community of like minded folk who love PES and who play for fun, not results. We have a league system and our own player database, you get a transfer budget to spend on players and their contracts. It's like the old MLO but better. It adds a whole new dimension to the game. We have an active transfer market which everyone takes part in all year round. It really does give you a reason to keep playing PES.

I myself have left the leagues but will be looking to join again after taking a break from PES to focus on my Fifa pro clubs team. I'm still around on the forums but took a step back from the league for a few months. Regarding Fifa, I actually play at a pretty high level on pro clubs, the team I play for just got promoted to the highest division on the VPG Esports league. Next season we'll be up against the likes of the official QPR Esports football team. They are one of the first UK pro clubs teams to be affiliated with a real life UK football team. I decided to dedicate all of my gaming time to that but I have been starting to miss PES and the Pro Evo Network leagues and after playing it again this week and enjoying it for the most part, I'll be putting my name down on the waiting list for a league spot again.

If you are a fan of this game, Pro Evo Network will give you a reason to keep playing all year round despite some of the games' flaws. It is really addictive though so be warned! Sign up and introduce yourself to the lads there in the 'Introduce yourself' section of the forums. They are a great bunch of lads and really welcoming, I now have most of them on my PSN friends list, which is nearly 150. There is also an Xbox league. http://proevonetwork.com/forums/

I'll have a look at it mate, see if I fancy it and have the time. It's always a pleasure when you get someone online who plays to play good footy, really enjoyable games.

Cheers pal. ;)
Pesmunki
First Team
First Team

Postby Pesmunki » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:09 am

OK, so here's a decent offline one I've just played.

Pass assist 1 and Manual shooting. I like it as a combination as you can and will make errors on shooting as can be seen when I skew some wide, but when you get one, it's a sweet feeling and more rewarding than basic.

I've knocked it down to Professional level to take this in to account, but as a whole combination of difficulty, with passing and manual shooting it plays out pretty well on the pitch if you like a bit more patient build up and time on the ball. that's not to say you don't get pressured as you do, I've lost a few, and I used to play on Top Player and Superstar.

Give it a try before you slag it off though...

Also I'm playing 20 minute matches at minute! ;)
Pesmunki
First Team
First Team

Postby danielrh » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 am

gee_simpson wrote:Now this thread is much better. No constant arguments, just general chat about the game itself :)

good read - I'll have to pop on to have a look at proevonetwork

Pesmunki wrote:OK, so here's a decent offline one I've just played.

Pass assist 1 and Manual shooting. I like it as a combination as you can and will make errors on shooting as can be seen when I skew some wide, but when you get one, it's a sweet feeling and more rewarding than basic.

I've knocked it down to Professional level to take this in to account, but as a whole combination of difficulty, with passing and manual shooting it plays out pretty well on the pitch if you like a bit more patient build up and time on the ball. that's not to say you don't get pressured as you do, I've lost a few, and I used to play on Top Player and Superstar.

Give it a try before you slag it off though...

Also I'm playing 20 minute matches at minute! ;)

Nice watch mate .....I enjoyed it
PESLeague UK Official Event Admin

Official PESLeague PES2018 tournament website
https://pesleague.konami.net/2018/eu/en/

"If people are trying to bring you down, it only means you are above them"
danielrh
Pundit
Pundit

Gamertag: Vict0r Sweet
PSN: Vict0rSweet1
Twitter: @danielrhenry

Re: PES 2018 NEWS, DISCUSSION, SCREENS AND VIDEO (Part 14)n

Postby Ameobinho » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Not enough fouls in a 20 minute game,Only 1 in the first half!

Please forward this to Konami this is a joke really.
Ameobinho
Mascot
Mascot

Next

Return to PES & WE News / Discussion